If your sick of paying for synchronization software that is overpriced or your running out of space using a free account, Syncthing is one answer, particularly if you have computers in multiple locations or have a good friend or family member that is happy to share some HDD space and internet bandwidth to allow you to do offsite automatic backups.
We recently discovered SyncThing and have been very impressed with it’s features, functionality and security. If you have not yet heard of SyncThing, then you don’t know what your missing out on. It has many awesome features, a few of which are listed below.
- Syncthing is an amazing free software that allows you to share folders between networked devices, such as laptops and mobile phones.
- Syncthing has clients for windows, mac and linux computers
- Syncthing has clients for android and apple ios (ipad, iphone, ipod) although the later has limited support.
- Sycthing is secure.
- Syncthing can be setup to sync in a mesh or spoke.
SugarSync’s online backup, file sync, and sharing service makes it easy to automatically syncronise documents, music, photos, and videos across computers and mobile devices. Sync between PCs, Macs, even sync your mobile phone.
- Multiple folders means one account for the whole family.
- With the 5GB free account, you have plenty of space for your essential files, if you need more space, the rates are cheaper than you would expect.
- Allows you to share folders with friends, colleges or the public & receive email notification when the files are accessed.
- Easily add any folder to Sugarsync, just right/control click on the folder and select “Add to sugarsync”
- Paid Accounts can share folders with free accounts and it doesn’t add to the free accounts quota …
Backblaze was designed to be really easy to use. There is no need to select the folders and filetypes you want to backup. It backs up EVERYTHING, because Backblaze has unlimited storage, so you never have to worry about going over some limit and paying extra.
- Unlimited storage.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Unlimited file size.
- For US$6 per month (updated pricing 2019), its an awesome deal.
- They provide the specs for their hardware and setup on their blog, so you can see how they do it.
- BackBlaze even supports customised encryption certificates, so that everything they store, can only be decrypted by you.
Syncthing is a continuous file synchronization program. It synchronizes files between two or more computers in real time, safely protected from prying eyes. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, whether it is shared with some third party, and how it’s transmitted over the internet.
- Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere else other than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.
- Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.
- Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.
- Open Protocol. The protocol is a documented specification — no hidden magic.
- Open Source. All source code is available on GitHub — what you see is what you get, there is no hidden funny business.
- Open Development. Any bugs found are immediately visible for anyone to browse — no hidden flaws.
- Open Discourse. Development and usage is always open for discussion.
- File Versioning means that if files are altered by ransomware, you have backup versions on another machine.